DanceLove

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Thinking Ahead...

Recently, I was informed (by a family friend) that I could not make a living by giving "dancing lessons", or performing. And my time would be better spent working a 9-5, or going back to school for another degree (which would require me to work harder, as education costs more than a house). Before I could correct the friend's error and say, "I'm a dance instructor, not a dancing teacher!" I realized that I didn't really have a long term goal. I enjoy my laid back lifestyle. I work when I want to and the hours suit me, along with the subject matter. At the same time this realization occurred, I was also informed, by someone completely different, that my bachelor's degree is virtually useless, and if I choose to stay in my current job field, I would need to relocate and receive nothing less than a doctorate to succeed as a "dancing teacher" in any higher education environment. And yes I do enjoy the life of academia, I also think that chapter might be over for me.









So... here is a picture of me performing in Poland, doing what I love, and almost getting paid for it. As we enter the spending spree leading up to the holidays and the resolutions of the new year (2008 will be the year of purging and organization!!!), I'll be spending my time doing research and administration for my dance studio, and making Christmas gifts for the owner's family, while agonizing over my decision to possibly audition for the Portland Opera's performance of Aida.

3 Comments:

  • merry christmas, you guys. have a merry merry and a cool yule.

    lvoe,
    cat

    By Blogger catnapping, at 12/21/2007 4:15 PM  

  • Hey princess, (I know you hate that, sorry) it's good to read what's going on with you. I live in San Francisco now and I'm going to go to grad school in art, i understand your dilemma, to go make money and think about the future, live your life the way you like, or pursue the dream that will prolly not come true even after the time is put in. I'm opting to do what makes me happy in the long term and that is Art. I already have a useless degree in Engineering. bleck. You have time your not even over the hill yet. <3's U

    ps hows pepe?

    By Blogger Tiger Brooke, at 1/28/2008 2:56 PM  

  • hey tig, i've been meaning to email you, he's great, so resiliant.
    anyway, congratulations on following your heart, so many don't know how to do that.
    have fun, love always, T.

    By Blogger trj, at 2/03/2008 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home