DanceLove

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

An Education in Preparation...

Here is a piece of Krakow public art in the center square. Can you tell what's "funny" about this picture?







When I was younger I always identified myself as a dancer, yet I was aspiring to be a school teacher...well I haven't strayed much from that point of view.


In my real life I'm a dance teacher. That's how I pay bills and spend most of my time. I enjoy dissecting dance and discovering different ways to instruct the art form and technique. (Wow that's a lot of alliteration.)

When the opportunity came to possibly teach one of the workshop classes we were giving in Nowa Huta (just outside Krakow), I was tickled, yet hesitant. I deferred to one of my fellow dancers/dance instructors, S, who accepted the offer. I went to Poland to dance and perform, not teach. (Truthfully I was looking forward to the break.) Evening came and as a group of us are sitting around listening and dancing to Salsa and Merengue music while enjoying a few beers, and S confesses that she has nothing planned, but that she's going to make it up on the spot the next morning. I say okay, and if she needs help I will. I say my goodnights around 2:30 am and await the Lyrical Jazz class S has promised.


The following morning at breakfast I was greeted by S's roommate who tels me she no longer wants to teach class because she's unprepared. Apparently the festivities continued until 6am. At this point class was in less than an hour...so I cheated. I accepted the offer and thought of one of my favorite modern teachers here in Portland, Gregg B. With a disclaimer, I "borrowed" some of his classic exercises and modified them for those inexperienced (everyone except A and I) in his movement style. It worked, class was great, and I even received a few compliments from my fellow company members. And while teaching in Gregg's style to a room full of 20+ dancers who've never tried that particular movement was daunting, I hope I pulled it off.

Teaching a new technique to a large number like that is always difficult, do you spend time fine-tuning and correcting for a one time gig, or just let the students experience the movement style and have fun?

So, thank you Gregg B. for teaching such memorable classes. If you're ever in Portland check out his class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home